Spring is here and that means it’s time to start getting your garden ready! Lurvey is your home for getting the most out of your garden. Let’s take a look at the 5 things you need to remember when getting your garden ready for 2017!
- Clean out last year’s garden. During the past fall and winter your garden endured storms, wind, and snow and it needs some sprucing up to be ready for this year’s garden. You will want to remove all debris and broken branches from your garden that will allow your new plants to have a clean open space to bloom. If you have trees or shrubs in your garden, you’ll want to trim off any dead or broken branches. It’s also a great time to prune and shape your tree or shrubs.
- Get your tools ready to work! All your tools have probably sat in a garage all winter and need to be cleaned or oiled. It’s possible you may need some new tools. Whether it’s prepping your old tools or visiting Lurvey to pick up some new tools, you can’t have a proper garden without the right tools.
- Give your soil a little care. You can’t plant a new garden if the soil isn’t ready for it. Start out by turning over the soil and rake it. This will help get rid of the weeds. Next, you’ll want to provide some nutrients for your soil. A great way to do this is from your own compost bin. If you don’t have a compost bin, you can get some compost and fertilizer from Lurvey. It’s best to add the compost and fertilizer a couple of weeks before you plant to make sure the soil has time to mix well and will not damage new plants.
- Make a Garden Plan. Not every plant will work for every area. It is important to consider the uniqueness of YOUR garden and what your goals are for it. The associates at Lurvey can help you develop a garden plan. This will help you choose plants that have the best chance to excel and bloom beautifully throughout the whole season!
- Finally, Upkeep, Upkeep, Upkeep! Your garden will thrive if you make sure to give it the attention it needs all season long. Regular upkeep will help you know where you need to make adjustments and allow you to enjoy the growth along the way. It’s also a great way to make sure pests are not getting into your garden.
Gardening is a great activity to help you embrace your space and enjoy the outdoors! We have everything you’ll need to have a successful garden right here at Lurvey! Come visit us today and let one of our associates help you make a garden plan or show you some new tools that can help you in your garden. You’ll be glad you did!